Monday, November 30, 2009

Motley Crue

*NOTE: This post was originally written and posted on September 20, 2009. Shortly after posting it, I decided to remove it for certain reasons at that time, but now I've decided to post it again so, enjoy the repeat, and stay tuned for more to come! Happy Holidays =)

motley (adj.):
composed of diverse often incongruous elements
motley (n.): the characteristic dress of the professional fool
(courtesy of webster.com)

Today is the day I finally decided to keep track of the questions that cross my mind at random, write them all down on a list, and steadily work towards finding the answers to each of them. That's where I got the idea to keep this post to a motley assortment of numbered items, instead of trying to force one idea and run with it, forgetting other ideas in the process.

1. The noun definition of 'motley' caught my eye quickly. I realize it's meant in the sense of a jester, but I particularly like the phrase "professional fool." Immediately after reading the definition at face value, I interpreted "professional fool" as "someone who is a professional and is also a fool." We've all heard the story of the overly ambitious worker who hangs onto their personal life by a thread for as long as possible, weighing the pros and cons of both lives, until the work world scissors take that last tiny snip for the win. I saw it happen first-hand, and hated what I saw. I've always sworn to myself that if I end up in a 9-5 setting, I'd never let that happen to me, no matter how ambitious I got with my work. Well, I can only see my ambition increasing from this point on, and -- contrary to my previous "no desk, no routine, no suit" idea of what I'd do with my life -- I am in fact leaning more towards a Mon-Fri 9-5 atmosphere, and so I'm getting this down in words mainly as a physical reminder of that promise I made to myself to never let my personal, fun, family life get killed off by my professional life. Here's to maintaining balance.

2. Speaking of "motley," Motley Crue is just one of several bands/artists I'm making a new concerted effort to familiarize myself with. Citizen Cope, Dave Matthews Band, and Foo Fighters are also near the top of the list right now (and deservedly so. They're all so, so good). A big contributor to this effort was keeping WMMR on in the house at all times during their "Back to School A-Z" feature which lasted about a week and a half. That Thursday-Sunday experience not only schooled me on some great music I'd never heard (making good on their promise to us listeners), but also served as a HUGE step in the so far gradual process of 93.3 WMMR becoming, undoubtedly, my favorite Philadelphia radio station. Now, those who know me know that I'm a big lover and supporter of the local music scene in Philadelphia. (Those of you who don't know me, this is a key fact. Take note.) Admittedly, I haven't devoted enough time to a station I've always loved coming back to after a while, 88.5 WXPN. Considering how much I love World Cafe Live's studio/venue atmosphere and the musical gems discovered there, I do plan on tuning in more often, hopefully making up for lost time. For some reason, though, there's just something about WMMR's perfect mix of Preston & Steve's borderline-inappropriate comedy, Pierre Robert's mellowed-out coffee breaks, Jaxon's avid support of the same bands I've fallen so deeply in love with since 2005ish, Jacky Bam Bam's perfect airwaves-friendly voice lulling me to sleep on those insomniac nights, and whatever else falls into the category of "everything that rocks" that seals the deal for how much the station has really grown on me. [Note: the proceeds of Jaxon's most recent Local Shots Live release party went towards the Bluebond Music Education Fund
, an organization I definitely plan on getting to know better. This is the kind of stuff I live for. Updates on this to follow.]

3. I'm getting tired, so I'll end it on this and save the rest of tonight's topics for another time. Today I learned a bit about lacrosse. If it weren't for the PR/media project opportunity I picked up on the side almost a year ago, I probably wouldn't have learned this information. The Philadelphia Lacrosse Foundation, a 501(c)3 that just became official within the past year, has the mission and goal of providing an outlet for lacrosse players, coaches, and enthusiasts in the region to play, learn, watch, and discuss the sport. I was brought on in the early, early stages of the Foundation's development, and throughout that process I've learned a lot of cool information from the group's founder (a lacrosse connoisseur himself, it seems). For example, what do lacrosse and "bumping hips" have in common? Well, they're one in the same according to this group I'd never heard of who's been playing the sport since the 1800's.
My role with the Philadelphia Lacrosse Foundation is moving into a higher gear again this time of year, so you can expect more tidbits of new knowledge that I come across. A few months ago, as a senior public relations student giving advice to a freshman communication major about taking the PR track, I stressed the importance of being able to really, personally, get behind whatever organization you're representing, issue you're dealing with, crisis you're managing, etc. When I took on this project with a local non-profit that hopes to become a hub of activity for box lacrosse in the region, I had NO IDEA what I was getting myself into. I used my love of field hockey (played for 8 years, been away from it for 4, and Aug-Oct STILL feels empty without it) and my knowledge of soccer and ice hockey to try and get in the mindset of this similar field sport, but I didn't really care all that much about lacrosse...going against that core advice I'd given to my freshman friend. But now I'm realizing how each new project, no matter how much you know or care about the topic at hand, should be seen as a learning experience, if not just another task to complete for work. I'm having a pretty cool time with this so far, and it's been interesting to say the least. I'm glad I got involved. Updates to follow on this project, too.


On Deck:

1. Pro: You catch more flies with honey. Con: You spill honey on the ground and don't clean it up right away, it attracts bugs. The quest to find balance without getting too much of a good thing.
2. 8 years, 10 inches, and countless irrational concerns later, I think I'm finally ready. Another promise fulfilled.
3. Why I want to boycott the phrase "for lack of a better word".


Til' next time...

Peace and love,

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment